To begin this shindig on a warm, fuzzy note I decided to start by posting about something very near and dear to my heart. Currywurst. 

While I was in Berlin for eight days this June, the city's obsession with currywurst was strikingly apparent. And this obsession treated me just fine. From men with portable sausage grills strapped to their bodies in Alexanderplatz, to the numerous German 'fastfood' chains in almost all U-Bahn and S-Bahn stations, currywurst was everywhere. And why shouldn't it be? It's affordable, it's a wholesome snack, and can a meal that consists of a juicy, hot sausage with a creamy, delicious, tangy tomato-curry sauce really be all that bad? Thought so.



This was my first currywurst of the trip -  at a small outdoor cafe right in front of Brandenburg Gate. It was 'mit Darm' which, I gathered from the flustered German lady serving me, was 'with skin'. The contrast between the crispy skin casing and soft meat inside was a fabulous surprise in my mouth.







This was from a ridiculously cheap stall on one of Ostkreuz station's platforms (I'm pretty sure it was Ostkreuz), which sold many varieties of two specific items - coffee and sausage. This wasn't currywurst - I decided to be adventerous and order a bratwurst with pommes (mmmm). I doused the fries with what I thought was salt, but was actually sugar. Whoops. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the smoky bratwurst flavour. But all in all, the crispy, delightful pommes made up for the entirety of the meal. Good times.




 Located a few steps away from the Mehringdamm U-Bahn station is Curry 36, which allegedly serves Berlin's best currywurst. The queue up to the tiny window counter, where you both place and receive your order, is perpetually long, and the tables outside packed. 
The lady with the blue bag, I, and a few other strangers were sharing one of the tables above. As I prepared to tuck into my own currywurst, she proceeded to say Guten Appetit to everyone on the table. Awww. 


The star sausages at Curry 36. I'm not entirely sure of its name, but on the right is a sausage which is covered with skin and then deep fried. The wurst that I ordered is pictured on the left. What I didn't get a picture of is the counter on the left, which holds German hamburger-like patties, and this meaty goulash-type soup/stew. 


Currywurst mit pommes rot-weiss - isn't she just a beaut. Curry 36 is famous for their own brand of curry sauce. The sauce had a nice texture to it - chunky and flavourful. Personally, though, the sauce was a tad bit too sweet for my liking and this wasn't my favourite currywurst meal of the trip (sacrilege, I know).



Having said that, it didn't stop me from polishing off my food. Tip for next time: hold off on the extra serving of curry sauce.


2 Comments

  1. Ahhh I love the hot dogs/wursts of Germany, so yummy. And I am pretty certain that I also ate at that cafe in the first picture when I was in Berlin, haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a Currywurst museum! We went in August. You definitely have to visit next time you are in Berlin! xx

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.